The Splendors of Sardinia
May 21 - June 2, 2017
Our 2017 spring destination to Sardinia is not only considered among one of the most romantic places on earth, but it’s also designated one of the world’s blue zones – places where people live longer and healthier than anyone else on earth.
Sardinia has an unusually high number of male centenarians who primarily work as farmers or shepherds. Their secret to a long, rich life? Their lifestyle – a healthy diet, plenty of exercise, strong family connections and a good dose of Cannanau wine, a Sardinian red wine that boasts three times the antioxidants and flavonoids found in other wines.
Better yet, you can learn lessons of living long and healthy firsthand during our spring 2014 trip to Sardinia as we travel along the beautiful Costa Smerelda, the bustling capital city of Cagliari and the rugged mountainside villages of the island’s interior. Highlights of the trip include:
- Cruise along the gulf and visit to Nettuno’s grottoes.
- Visit to local cheese producer and wine producers.
- Lunch with shepherds.
- Day-long excursion to the neighboring French island of Corsica.
- Special dinners and wine tastings.
- Cooking class with a local chef.
- Stays at two charming hotels.
- Guided tours with local expert guides.
Cost: price is being determined. Contact us for details.
- Tuesday, May 16, 2017
Depart the U.S. for Sardinia, Italy.
- Wednesday, May 17, 2017 - Alghero
After our arrival in Olbia, transfer by private coach to our hotel located on the west coast of Sardinia. Get settled and relax before a welcome dinner at hotel or nearby restaurant. (D)
- Thursday, May 18, 2017 - Alghero
After breakfast, discover the ancient city of Alghero with an half-day guided tour that includes a cruise on the gulf and visit to Nettuno’s grottoes — a journey into the worldy wonders of caves filled with ancient stalactites. Spend the remainder of the day exploring Alghero and it’s beaches. Dinner on your own. (B)
- Friday, May 19, 2017 - Alghero
Breakfast in hotel. Morning departure by private coach for a guided visit to the town of Bosa — an “undiscovered gem” of Sardinia. Explore this charming unspoiled town of cobblestone streets, beautiful piazzas and wonderful cafes, restaurants and shops. Later, we’ll visit a local cheese producer to learn first-hand the process of making artisanal cheese. Taste how the flavor and characteristics of this local cheese reflect this remarkable island. (B)
- Saturday, May 20, 2017 - Alghero
Today, learn the secrets of Sardinian cooking with a local chef. Get insight into how the Sardinian approach to food has made the island a “blue zone” where people live substantially longer lives. Later, enjoy the fruits of your labor with lunch. Top the day with a visit to a winery or a “distilleria” of Abbardente — a local grappa. This evening, grab a bottle of your favorite local wine and head to the coast to watch the dramatic sunset. (B, L)
- Sunday, May 21, 2017 - Alghero
Today is completely yours! Relax at the hotel, explore the old town of Alghero, shop, swim or relax along the beaches of Sardinia’s west coast. Tonight dine at one of Alghero’s celebrated eateries and sample roast suckling pig or fresh seafood. (B)
- Monday, May 22, 2017 - Costa Esmeralda
Following a leisurely breakfast, transfer to our hotel in northern Sardinia. On the way, experience the ancient tradition of a shepherd’s lunch hosted and prepared by local shepherds. Visit the Orgosolo’s murales — brilliantly colored murals that depict stories of Italy’s history and politics. Later, get settled in hotel and relax. (B, L)
- Tuesday, May 23, 2017 - Costa Esmeralda
Following breakfast, enjoy a day of private boating along La Maddalena Archipelago, a group of islands nestled in the Tyrrhenian Sea. Enjoy the breathtaking views as we sail the sea on our privately chartered boat. We’ll take a break for swimming and relaxing along one of the island’s spectacular beaches, then enjoy lunch on board. Later, return to the hotel for relaxing and reminiscing about our fabulous day at sea. (B, L)
- Wednesday, May 24, 2017 - Costa Esmeralda
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast then bus to Santa Teresa where we will take the ferry to the French island of Corsica, considered by some to be the most beautiful island in the Mediterranean Sea. Spend the day exploring the medieval village of Bonifacio on your own. Wander through the town’s maze of cobblestone streets, visit its centuries-old churches, quaint shops and cafes. Return to Sardinia and our hotel late afternoon. (B)
- Thursday, May 25, 2017 - Costa Esmeralda
Today, enjoy your final day enjoying the beach, visiting a local village or relaxing at the hotel. Tonight, we’ll gather at the hotel or nearby local restaurant to celebrate our Sardinian adventure. (B, D)
- Friday, May 26, 2017 - Costa Esmeralda
Today, say a reluctant “Ciao” to Sardinia and return to the U.S.
Trip Price Includes:
- Land transportation in comfortable, air-conditioned motor coach.
- Hosted Italian-speaking tour leader throughout entire trip.
- Upscale accommodations in charming boutique hotels, country villas and B&Bs.
- Private guided tours with local experts and entrance fees to museums.
- Daily breakfast and gourmet meals (as noted in itinerary).
- All activities as noted in itinerary, such as cooking classes, wine tastings, truffle hunting, sailing, etc.
Trip Price Does Not Include:
- Gratuities and tips for drivers, guides, etc.
- Hotel city taxes, where applicable. (Typically 2-4 euro per person/per night.)
- Personal expenses, including phone and Internet access, where applicable.
- Individual transfers to and from airport.
Contact us for pricing and registration form.